A comprehensive review of the UK legal cannabinoid industry includes some interesting insights gained from an accompanying survey.
In February this year, the Centre of Medicinal Cannabis and the Association for the Cannabinoid Industry commissioned Oxford University’s Professor Christopher Hodges to oversee a comprehensive review of the nation’s cannabinoid industry.
The final report of what’s been called “The Hodges Review” was released yesterday. It contains 20 key recommendations which the CMC believes will “set the UK on a path to become the global leader in cannabinoid innovation”.
The Hodges Review is partly based on results of surveys conducted by Stack Data Strategy this month. Stack Data Strategy polled a representative sample of 1,500 individuals across the UK between the 9th and 13th June 2022.
Among the findings:
- 16% of Brits have previously used cannabidiol-based products for health-related reasons.
- 24% of those in the 18-34 age group have used CBD, and 25% have used cannabis for medical reasons.
- Almost two-thirds of those surveyed were aware of CBD products.
- 19% of respondents said they knew someone personally whose health has benefited from medicinal cannabis use.
- 63% of respondents said they would support a decision by a family member to use medicinal cannabis.
- Only 8% saying they would be somewhat or very opposed to it.
- 90% of those who had used cannabis medicinally experienced positive benefits.
- 59% believe there will be widespread understanding and acceptance of the medical benefits of cannabis in a decade from now.
- 38% of respondents who buy CBD said they purchase products online, and 30% in high street shops.
When asked about important factors in selecting cannabidiol products, amount of CBD ranked highest (43%), followed by price (42%); natural ingredients (34%); clear labelling of ingredients (31%) and provenance (30%).
“This again shows a public demand for quality, affordable CBD that is well labelled and gives the consumer key information, like country of origin,” states The Hodges Review. “Currently, a large number of CBD products do not meet these clear expectations.”
The Hodges Review will certainly give lawmakers and other stakeholders plenty of food for thought – at 128 pages, it’s a fairly hefty report. A copy of the review and supporting data can be downloaded here.